It’s been a bad couple of weeks for Arsenal who lost for the third consecutive game tonight 2-0 to Schalke in the Champions League. Some quick thoughts on the game:
- I can handle Arsenal losing games. Every team goes through a tough period during any season. What worries me is the lack of energy that the team showed at Norwich carried over to tonight’s game. There is no excuse for a performance that flat in the Champions League and this losing streak is starting to expose some of the flaws in the Arsenal squad.
- Santos was terrible tonight and I don’t understand why Arsenal did not bring in Koscielny and switch Vermaelen to left-back. Yes TV does not like to play left-back anymore, but Santos is simply not good enough.
- In midfield, teams have figured out that if they take Cazorla out of the game, that Arsenal have nobody with the guile and class to create chances. Hopefully when Jack comes back that will change, but that is putting a lot of pressure on someone who has not played in 15 months.
- Up-front Gervinho once again was massively disappointing. His dive was an embarrassment and the booing he received when he was replaced showed what the Arsenal fans thought of it. But what Gervinho’s performance the last week shows is that he is to up and down for Arsenal to rely on him for goals. And at the moment, there is nobody in the Arsenal line-up who makes you think that he is going to score today.
- Arsene Wenger watched the game from the directors box as he served his third and final (I think) Uefa touchline ban. And I think in this game we missed Wenger. Waiting until the 76th minute to bring in Giroud, and the 83rd to give a chance to Arshavin and Gnabry was too late as Bould showed he was out his depth tonight.
What did you think of the game and Arsenal’s performance?