Disappointing 2-1 defeat at home today to Chelsea for the Gunners. Here are some quick thoughts on the match:
- In the last week, Arsenal have played both Manchester City and Chelsea and have yet to concede a goal from open play. Unfortunately, Arsenal have only picked up one point out of six due to the fact that they have conceded three goals from set pieces. And just like last week at the Ethiad, it was Laurent Koscielny at fault for the Chelsea goals today. With Vermaelen fit, it should have been Koscielny that was dropped not Mertesacker.
- A positive note defensively though was that expect for the two goals, I think Mannone had once save to make all day, and that was from a long-range shot. Jenkinson looked really good going forward, especially in the first half, and most of Arsenal’s best moves came from when he or Giggs bombed forward down the flanks.
- Worrying to see Diaby go off injured after only 17 minutes. In a post-match interview I heard Arsene Wenger say that Diaby has a muscle injury and it could be weeks. I hope not, because an injury to Diaby exposes the fact that Arsenal never replaced Song when he was sold this summer. Arteta is not a holding midfield player, Frimpong is recovering from an injury and Coquelin is too inexperienced.
- Wenger seems to be unsure about what is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s best position. WHen he came on to replace Diaby, he played wide right and Ramsey moved into the middle. Then when Walcott came on, AOC moved into a more central role. Personally I like him in the middle of the park running at defenders, but pick a position and let give him a run of games their.
- I thought that Santi Cazorla was a little disappointing today. Did not have his usual influence on the match and he put over a couple of half-chances that he had. He needs to do more in these big games,.
- It was great to see Gervinho take his one scoring chance today, after his missed opportunities last week. What was not good was seeing Giroud waste another great scoring chance in stoppage time. Asked about the miss, this is what Arsene Wenger said: “Giroud should have scored,” Wenger said. “He was in a good position to score. Why did he not score? It is hard to identify.”
- While its a little early to worry about the table, Arsenal are already seven points behind Chelsea in the table. The Gunners cannot afford to let that gap widen to 10. Unlike with Spurs, I can’t see Arsenal pulling back a 10 point gap on Chelsea.
What did you think of today’s performance and result?