Here is a look at Arsenal‘s trip to Marseille tomorrow night as the Champions League returns. These clubs met in the group stage two years ago, an Aaron Ramsey goal in injury time securing a 1-0 win for Arsenal at the Stade Velodrome before the clubs drew 0-0 in London.
- Andre Ayew missed the draw with Toulouse at the weekend, with Florian Thauvin coming in to make his Marseille debut, and he remains a doubt.
- Elsewhere Souleymane Diawara also missed out on Saturday through injury and Mendes should continue to partner N’Koulou at the back.
- Jeremy Morel and Benjamin Mendy are in competition to start at left-back, with the former’s experience likely to see him favoured.
- Mesut Ozil made his Arsenal debut at the weekend and should be fit to play in midweek having been withdrawn halfway through the second half at Sunderland.
- His compatriot Per Mertesacker, however, is fit again and that will allow Bacary Sagna to revert to right-back.
- Santi Cazorla is likely to be out for at least two weeks with an ankle problem, joining midfielders Rosicky, Arteta and Diaby on the sidelines.
- Arsenal have kept a clean sheet in their last 3 matches in the Champions League (including qualifiers).
- Marseille have lost their last 3 matches in the Champions League (including qualifiers).
- Arsenal have won their last 3 matches in the Champions League (including qualifiers).
- Marseille have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches in the Champions League (including qualifiers).
- Arsenal have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches in the Champions League (including qualifiers).
- After a strong start to the Ligue 1 season Marseille have dropped points in their last two games. Meanwhile it’s the reverse for Arsenal, who have won three on the bounce since defeat on the opening day to Villa.
- The Gunners have a strong French contingent with four likely to start on Wednesday, though there’s no doubt that the man in form upon returning to his homeland is Olivier Giroud, who has 4 in 4 in the Premier League.
- Marseille will need Dmitri Payet to pick up his form once again, while their key man will no doubt be key creator Mathieu Valbuena.
- The way Arsenal’s group is shaping up, they have to take all six points against Marseille if they are to finish ahead of Napoli and/or Dortmund.
Score: Marseille 1 Arsenal 2
What do you think the score will be?