Some quick thoughts on the game
- Oliver Kay from the Times tweeted this stat after the game: Since that drubbing at Old Trafford in late August, Arsenal have won as many Premier League games (19) as Manchester City and and picked up 2 fewer points. That record shows how badly Arsenal screwed up the Fabregas and Nasri transfers last summer. Get all the deals this summer done before the Euros so the team can hit the ground running next season
- Arsenal could easily have won 3-0 today. In the first half Robin Van Persie saw a goal bound header hit Thomas Vermaelen and then in the second half he saw a header come back of the post with Hart beaten. Then Walcott’s shot was tipped on to the post by Hart, and somehow Vermaelen and Benayoun conspired to somehow not score.
- Arsenal held Manchester City to no shots on goal today. First time that has happened all season. I have not seen City dominated in a game this season the way that Arsenal dominated them today.
- Thought that Arsenal’s midfield of Song, Arteta, Rosicky and Benayoun were terrific today. Totally bossed the opening 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes of the game. Interesting that in such a big game that Wenger went with experience in the middle of the park instead of youth, and it paid off as the older heads were able to control the game.
- Great goal by Arteta, in one of his few attacks. At times today, Arteta seemed to be playing as the holding midfielder with Song ahead of him.
- Even the bad bounces we Arsenal’s way today. Laurent Koscielny picked up his 10th yellow card of the season, and will miss Arsenal’s next two games; against Wolves and Wigan, meaning he will be back against Chelsea.
- So terrific night for Arsenal fans. Hopefully the team will not have a let-down against Wolves and Wigan as those six points will be a massive step towards finishing third.
What did you think of Arsenal’s performance today. Are we back to In Arsene We Trust?